Tender

Tender

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Uncomfortable to love

The Colour of Love (CAI 2024)

I try saying

instead of, they don't love me

I try saying, they

find me uncomfortable to love.

And I'm sure that's true 

I'm sure if you find yourself unfortunately,

inexplicably, loving me 

maybe that's a lot,

and not what you expect

if you stumbled into love unprepared

for all the ways I'm me; maybe

the blame's not mine; maybe

it's just a situation, 

something that happens all the time, 

mis-matched needs and expectations

despite affection, spiting love

bad transmission, a frequency above

or below your song, maybe what's wrong

is your love itself, that you love me, anyway

even though, in spite

and that's a position rife with disappointment

not every love feels loving.


I suspect my thought experiment encodes delusion

I hope so; anyway, I build illusions every night

to carry me through the days.