Tender

Tender

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Shard in my mind

Hate and love, growing exponentially. Awareness and awakening, in such narrow slices as to often prove dangerous, mostly completely misunderstood and met with unreasonable hope and expectations.

Everything is part of the story. Everything is part of the truth, even that we'd rather turn from or think can be banished by the light. That's what makes it so hard to say: this is wrong, universally, we all agree. This is right. Because we are all right, and friends, we are all wrong. Always. Why waste our energy fighting semantics rather than putting our puzzle together? It drives me to distraction, it really does.

What is my life in all of that? It's tempting to say nothing but there is something in me that knows it's everything. That I am the most important person alive, that my choices every moment tip the cosmic balance. And then I look around at every other person, the ones my brain categorizes and dismisses (loser, housewife, old lady, clerk, homeless guy, business guy, bitch, beautiful girl) and I know: the same is true for each of them. They have no idea. I have no idea, really.

When a glass breaks, no matter how well we clean up, a shard will eventually stick in someone's foot. Why that shard? How did it escape the dustpan and the vacuum and the careful inspection of the floor? It escaped, and it found the foot we tried so hard to keep it from, the one it had been meant for all along. It escaped, and by random chance, on this day, a footstep discovered it. God put it there to punish the stepper. The stepper willed it to be there by thinking negative thoughts. The Universe provided the pain of the shard as an opportunity for enlightenment. A shard of glass got into a foot for no reason at all. Why? Why? Why?

Why are we spending our time on this attempt to pick and choose, label and understand, use and exploit? We are so far from true understanding as to be laughable, after so many generations of our species. What can I possibly do in the face of all of this.

Never enough.

10 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a zen koan - "The great way is not difficult if you just don't pick and choose."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. The path to zen does not feel zen-like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most profound truth "...I am the most important person alive, that my choices every moment tip the cosmic balance..." you have uttered. It's easy to forget, thank you for the reminder.

    @DeciduousTree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never enough. The only thing we can do is live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. M. - Yes, live. HOW to live...that is the cavernous question that started me down this rabbit hole of thought in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always enough!
    More than enough, to read this.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, umm, I fit into 1/3 of the categories your mind dismisses (loser, housewife, old lady). What does it say that I subscribe to your blogs?

    I'm afraid I'm missing the point that you are trying to make. Is it how much point of view affects our assessment of things? Or is there just a whole 'nother thing going on that I just don't know about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry, Trece - I've been unclear. I'm referring to more of a generalization that happens with strangers as we walk down the street, not a decided dismissal of individuals one may have a chance to interact with. It's not my final resting place, it's an unconscious act. The human mind must and does categorize all the time, for our protection. We must pay attention to it, and I do. Sometimes in my ramblings I may not always be clear.

    I'm glad for you that you have a belief system that works for you. I posit that every belief system is part of the whole truth, that there is not one that is right and the others wrong. Of course you may disagree with me - most people do. We can still have an interesting dialogue, I hope!

    I don't know the answers to your questions. My point isn't really to make a point, it's to open questions for conversation. Thanks for engaging instead of just dismissing. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should also say, that the "dismissal" is only in my non-present state. That dismissal ends the instant I regain enough presence to realize that each of them is an imperative life force. It's hard to live that way every instant.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.